Go Watch A Movie
The One Stop Shop For All Things Entertainment!

Featured

Christopher McQuarrie Talks M:I-7 & M:I-8 Sequels

'Game of Thrones': George R.R. Martin says three spinoff shows 'moving forward nicely'

Ron Howard in Talks for 'Willow' Sequel Series at Disney+

By Kelvin Owens

In the past two years, on and off, at least five potential spin-offs to HBO’s big-budget fantasy series “Game of Thrones” were in development. It was expected at least one would rise to the top, and the rest would be either scrapped or developed into a secondary series.

Jane Goldman’s pitch, a prequel set thousands of years before and exploring the descent from the Golden Age of Heroes into its darkest (and longest) night, ultimately won the day last year and has been casting ahead of production to kick off later this year.

Bryan Cogman recently confirmed his pitch has been completely scrapped, and it was thought the other three by Max Borenstein, Brian Helgeland, and Cary Wray had also been abandoned. However, in a new posting by author George R.R. Martin today on his official site, he says two of those three are still progressing:

“The one I am not supposed to call THE LONG NIGHT will be shooting later this year, and two other shows remain in the script stage, but are edging closer.”

Not much is known about the other spinoff series HBO is exploring, or which of the three writers still linked has seen their pitch ditched. The mothership show continues airing on Sunday nights with the fourth of the final six episodes to air this weekend.

Looking forward to staying in the world of GoT? Let us know in the comments.